Afternoon tea in Melbourne

My husband & I went for afternoon tea at the weekend & we found ourselves commenting on (and critiquing!) various aspects of it given that we enjoyed many an afternoon tea when we lived in London at places like Claridge's, Fortnum & Mason, The Langham, Brown's Hotel, The Savoy & The Ritz.  So I guess you could say that we had quite a clear idea of what we expected from our first afternoon tea in Melbourne.

One of the things that I miss about living in London is their afternoon teas.  Its something they excel at, but then again they've had a long time to perfect it given that the custom of afternoon teas began in England in the 1840's.  In London, an afternoon tea isn't just about having a cuppa & a scone.  It really is an experience & something to get just a little dressed up for.   

Afternoon teas with dainty pastries, sandwiches & a pot of tea or coffee have grown popular in many places now & its lovely to see that the tradition is alive & well in Melbourne. 

Anyway...as we enjoyed our afternoon tea on the weekend, my husband came up with the great idea that I write reviews on afternoon teas in Melbourne (I'm sure this had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it means we will have to try lots of afternoon teas in Melbourne).

I'm not claiming to be some sort of afternoon tea aficionado, but having enjoyed many a London afternoon tea as well as being a keen baker, my reviews will simply be an honest account of what I thought about the experience.  I'll be commenting on all sorts of things such as how fresh the scones were, how good the service was, what the tea was like, the table setting & the selection of pastries & sandwiches on offer. 

So I hope you are keen to join me on my afternoon tea journey around Melbourne... x

Comments

Popular Posts