B is for Belgium biscuits
For the biscuits...
What to do...
- Heat your oven to 180 C.
- Prepare your biscuit trays by lining two trays with baking paper. (My tip here is to spray a couple of areas with some cooking spray before you lie your baking paper on the tray to prevent the paper slipping around when you come to place your biscuits on top).
- Before you launch into the baking part, make sure you've got a round cookie cutter of about 6.5cm in diameter.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter & brown sugar until light & fluffy. Add egg & beat well.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients together & mix into creamed mixture to make a firm dough. (Always make sure you turn the beater off before adding the dry ingredients! Then mix on a low speed to avoid a shroud of dust everywhere!)
- Lightly flour your bench or a non-stick mat. Place mixture onto your surface & knead lightly so that mixture comes together for rolling.
- Roll mixture out to around 3mm thick. I cheat & use marzipan spacers for this!
- Cut out biscuits using your round cookie cutter.
- Place biscuits on your trays a few cm apart from each other - they don't spread much at all.
- Bake for 15 mins or until golden.
- When cold, sandwich biscuits together with the jam.
- Next make the icing by mixing the icing sugar with the vanilla & enough hot water to make a spreadable consistency (not too runny or else it will run off the edges).
- Ice the top of each biscuit.