F is for Florentines
- As always, heat your oven to 180C or if using fan bake, to 160C
- Line 3 baking trays with non-stick baking paper & just for good measure, spray lightly with some cooking spray... OR if you don't have baking paper, spray the trays generously with cooking spray. These suckers will easily stick to the tray unless it is well greased!
- Place butter, sugar & golden syrup into a small saucepan & gently heat until butter has melted.
- Remove from heat & add flour, chopped cherries, candied peel & nuts. Stir well to combine.
- Bake for 8-10 mins or until golden brown. Leave Florentines to cool slightly before gently lifting them onto a cooling rack with a palate knife. If you have used a greased tray with no baking paper, allow Florentines to harden for a couple of minutes before you lift them.
- Once Florentines have cooled completely, the best part is spreading the melted chocolate on one side! Now - when it comes to melting chocolate, I always use the microwave BUT... I watch the chocolate very carefully, stir it often & only give it short bursts of 40 seconds or so. As long as you are careful, you won't have any problems with the chocolate burning. I never have!
- Break the chocolate into pieces & microwave until melted (stir stir stir in between short bursts!!)