Mum's Madeira Cake
- Heat your oven to 170 C.
- Prepare your cake tin by spraying a couple of areas with cooking spray to prevent the baking paper moving about. Then line the tin with baking paper & smooth/fold into the corners. I used a square tin of 20cm x 20cm with a depth of 5cm.
- Using an electric free standing mixer or hand held, beat butter & sugar together until creamy then add the eggs. Beat until eggs combined.
- Sift dry ingredients & add to creamed mixture. Beat until just combined - for around a minute.
- Pour cake mixture into your tin & bake for around an hour until a skewer or knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin to cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add the melted butter, lemon rind & juice to the icing sugar. Carefully pour small amounts of hot water in at a time until you reach a spreadable consistency. If the icing turns out too runny, just add a little more icing sugar.
- Turn the cake upside down so you have a flat surface to ice, then slather icing on top of the cake!
- EAT CAKE!