G is for Gingerbread
- Heat your oven to 180C. I opted for fan bake at 180C but reduced the heat after 50 mins to 160C. Just keep an eye on the top of the Gingerbread as it will brown up quickly - reduce the heat towards the end if you are worried about the top burning.
- Prepare either a 20cm square cake tin or you can use a loaf tin. If using a loaf tin the Gingerbread will need closer to the 60 mins to cook through (and maybe slightly longer). Spray some cooking spray in the tin before lining neatly with baking paper.
- Using an electric free standing mixer or hand held, cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy.
- Warm golden syrup in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until runny. Beat into creamed mixture.
- Add egg & beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients together & then stir into creamed mixture alternatively with water. I found that there were a few lumps in the mixture towards the end so just be careful to add small amounts of dry mixture at a time (a couple of tablespoons) in between adding the water and mix well each time. Using a flat spatula to press the mixture against the side of the bowl is a good way to smooth out any lumps in the mixture.
- Pour mixture into your cake or loaf tin & place in oven for around 45 to 60 minutes or until a skewer or knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for a few minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack.