Make your own vanilla extract (v easy!)
- Get yourself a little bottle with a bottle stopper attached, that holds at least 1 cup of liquid. Steralise the bottle in hot soapy water or put it in the dishwasher. Allow to dry.
- Pour in 1 cup of vodka & then add in at least 2-3 vanilla pods. If you want to start this off & you haven't used any vanilla pods for baking, you could use new vanilla pods, scrape out the seeds & throw those in as well as the actual pods themselves.
- Each time you use vanilla pods & are scraping out the seeds to put in your baking, just open the bottle & put the vanilla pods into your extract. I just kept doing this & ended up with around 8 vanilla pods.
- If you use loads of vanilla pods, then stick to 8 max in each batch of extract & you could have several batches on the go.
- Leave the extract for at least 6 months to infuse, giving it a good shake every now & then. Over time, the extract will turn dark brown in colour & will start to resemble a science experiment! Don't fear - this how it should look.
- I left my extract for 8 months & its turned out really well - it smells wonderful. When you are ready to use it (this will be an exciting moment), strain out the vanilla pods & general bits that are floating around, rinse out the bottle in some hot water & once the bottle is dry, pour your extract back in!