R is for Ruby slice
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C static or 140C fanbake.
- Prepare a slice tin which measures approx 27 x 18 cm with a depth of around 3.5cm - spray lightly with cooking spray & then line with non-stick baking paper. Make sure the baking paper is nice & snug against the sides & corners of the tin.
- Grab a medium saucepan & into it goes the sugar, butter & golden syrup. Heat gently & stir until everything has melted. Don't let it come to a simmer or boil - you only need to melt the butter & sugar together - so it won't take long.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the remaining ingredients & mix well until everything is combined.
- Tip the mixture into your slice tin & with a dessert spoon, even it out & then pat it all down firmly against the sides, making sure that it's nice & level on the top.
- Place in the oven for 15 mins. Depending on your oven - you might want to rotate part way through to ensure that the slice cooks evenly & comes out a light golden brown. My Nana's tip: don't let the slice get too brown!
- Remove from the oven & set aside to cool slightly in the tin. Another tip from my Nana is that the slice is easiest to cut into pieces when it's still warm from the oven.