Nana's lemon honey shortcake & caramel oat slice
In another baking tribute to my lovely Nana, I recently made her lemon honey shortcake & caramel oat slice. Both delicious. Both easy to make. I was chatting to my Nana the other day about how good it is to be able to bake delicious treats using readily available ingredients that don't cost an arm & a leg to buy. This is one of the reasons why I love my Nana's recipes so much - they call for basic ingredients that most of us will have in our pantry already.
Lemon honey shortcake
6 oz softened butter
6 oz sugar
10 oz plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for the lemon honey filling
3/4 cup water
- Make the lemon honey filling by adding the water, butter, sugar & lemon rind & juice to a saucepan & bringing to the boil.
- Place the custard powder or cornflour into a separate bowl & carefully mix it with a couple of tablespoons of the hot lemony liquid to create a smooth paste. Then pour the paste into the saucepan & mix quickly to combine. Reduce to a simmer & stir regularly until the lemon honey has thickened enough to use as a filling. Remember that the lemon honey will thicken up some more as it cools.
- Remove the lemon honey from the heat & set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 C static or 160 C fan bake.
- To make the shortcake, cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add egg & dry ingredients & mix to combine.
- Divide shortcake mixture into two equal portions.
- Spray baking tin with cooking oil & line bottom & sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Press one half of the shortcake mixture into the tin.
- Pour over the lemon honey filling & spread evenly.
- Crumble the remaining shortcake mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for around 20-25 mins or until the top has started to turn golden brown & the slice feels set when you gently push the middle with your finger. Note: mine took about 10 minutes longer to bake because I used a much deeper tin than your standard sponge roll tin. So, just monitor the baking time if you use a deeper tin.
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C static or 160 C fan bake.
- Cream butter & brown sugar until light & fluffy. Add vanilla, flour & baking powder. Mix well to combine.
- Spray your baking tin with cooking oil & line bottom & sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Press mixture evenly into tin & bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven & set aside.
- Place ingredients for caramel filling into a saucepan & cook on a medium heat, stirring regularly, until thick & golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place ingredients for the topping into a bowl & mix together.
- Spread the caramel filling evenly over the base & sprinkle over the topping.
- Bake for 25-35 mins until golden brown. Note: given the brown sugar in the topping, it will have a tendency to burn quickly so be sure to keep an eye on it.