Gluten-free raspberry & lime friands
What to do
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 C static or 170 C fan bake.
- Grease your 12 hole friand tin (or use a 12 hole muffin tray instead)
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients (remember to sift the icing sugar) followed by the lime juice & zest.
- Melt butter & set it aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, lightly hand whisk the egg whites until they are frothy - but don't overdo it. You just want to get some air into them.
- Add the egg whites to the dry ingredients.
- Start stirring the mixture & then quickly add the melted butter. The reason you need to stir whilst adding the butter, is to prevent the butter from cooking the egg whites. Hopefully your butter will have cooled down enough by now to prevent this.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the friand or muffin holes.
- Place three or four raspberries onto the top of each friand & press down lightly. If your frozen raspberries have turned mushy, you could spoon them on the top instead.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the friands are golden around the edges, risen nicely & are firm to touch.
- Remove from oven & cool on a wire rack.